Sunday, March 21, 2010

encouragement for Rodene and hopefully every one

1. Try to figure out exactly what most interests you in the arts. 
From your post here, I sense your leaning to animation and comics. Your choice in schools is CRUCIAL! Now some Fine Art schools might teach you that what drew you to the arts is juvenile and banal. (I speak from experience) so avoid the brain washing and keep true to your initial inspirations. You might give up like I did. Most of the interviews out there of those living their drams in the field express a similar frustration over their art school experience. If I would have done it different when I was your age I would have applied for Cal Arts. It's expensive, and HARD to get into, but most students there find jobs before they finnish. Not to mention exposer to the most influential artists; John Lassiter, Tim Burton, Pete Doctor, Andrew Stanton,... (You probably know all this already) It is the school of choice for the popular arts. 


2. Search the web for interviews of those who inspire you and learn from them. Check out;


http://www.Escapefromillustrationisland.com 


http://www.sidebarnation.com/  


http://chrisoatley.com/CHRISOATLEY.COM/podcast/podcast.html


And the interviews I've done with


David Colman;   http://web.me.com/samuelkirkman/Site/David_Colman.html

Steven Silver http://web.me.com/samuelkirkman/Site/Stephen_Silver.html

Mark McDonnell http://web.me.com/samuelkirkman/Site/Mark_McDonnell.html 






3. Learn all you can about art history. I think every artist needs a well rounded knowledge of art history. Really pay attention to where our visual language came from and how it developed over the centuries.


4. Do what your doing here, Get out there on Twitter and Facebook and Blogger or wordpress. set up a blog make connections, get to know artists in the biz. I't was a revelation to me to find out that PEOPLE actually do this stuff, not some art gods high on a mountain some where, and that most genuinely want to be of encouragement to ones like your self. But be cautious and smart.


5. Find your voice. You'll hear it time and time again how each of us as artists need to find what makes us unique and build on that. It will come from what inspires you in others, what moves you emotionally in life, and the experiences that lay before you. It happens. It's not something you can force, but something that evolves. How will you know you've found your voice? When that sketch or drawing or story you are working on suddenly elicits that prickling sensation, that "Hair standing up on the back of your neck" sensation, When you reach the point that you inspire your self. That's the horse you jump on to and ride like the wind.  


6. Always have a plan B. It is not an admitting of defeat or a compromise of dreams to think about what you would do if it doesn't pan out. You will always need a means of maintenance, a way to make a living. Planning ahead for this will help you find yourself doing something you want rather than being forced into the "Hi Welcome to Wendy's, Can I take your order?" nightmare. IT IS WISDOM! Plan as far ahead as you can.


Well, I hope your dreams come true Rodene. I hope this helps a little, And I look forward to what you have to share project wise on the GNN. Thanks for sticking around! -Sam

3 comments:

  1. Jeez Sam, Where were you when I was 16?!!! Excellent advice and insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAHH cheese and rice, I can't thank you enough for this monster post!

    CalArts actually is one of my first choice schools. But like you mentioned, it's no easy feat getting in - gotta try and work my butt off this year if I'm hoping to worm my way through.

    Thank you bunches Sam. I'll keep all of your advice in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my best wishes Rodene! Keep us up on how things are going!

    ReplyDelete