If you have a sec, throw up a post here about any note worthy sources of the Muse that you use.
For me it is the work of Saun Tan. In particular The Arrival

I can not recommend a book more highly. It is probably due to the illustrator in me, but this work in my opinion is a break through. Was for me anyway. I thank our own Cynthia Narcisi for tuning me in to this man and his work. Completely
wordless, The Arrival tells the immigrant story like you've never seen it before. Reading his notes on his site on the development of this work is in my book required reading. It took him over four years to complete this work.

Also of interest are a couple of essays on Originality and Creativity and Picture Books: Who are they for?
If you've got the time I think you will find these essays very rewarding & inspiring.
Other books Of Shaun's that I have found inspiring are The Viewer. To Dark and Scary to be a kids book,
It accomplishes what I intend to do with GREW, a Picture Book for grown ups.
Filled with incredible visuals, The Viewer Intrigues rather than enlightens, but is still a very note worthy pice.

Tales From Outer Suburbia is the last I'll mention.

Another incredible feast visually with some unusual and at times, Quirky story telling.
as an example, a haunting short entitled Stick Figures. Disturbing on a couple of levels.
It is good to be disturbed every once and awhile. your thinking always seems to settle
after with a tighter grasp on things significant, while loosing grasp of things that are not, but
which float to the surface like refuse.
OK, if you get a sec to, Add a post about who or what inspire you!
Thanks again for being part of the GNN!
Keep on working on what you love.
Sam
If you've got the time I think you will find these essays very rewarding & inspiring.
Other books Of Shaun's that I have found inspiring are The Viewer. To Dark and Scary to be a kids book,
It accomplishes what I intend to do with GREW, a Picture Book for grown ups.
Filled with incredible visuals, The Viewer Intrigues rather than enlightens, but is still a very note worthy pice. 
Tales From Outer Suburbia is the last I'll mention.

Another incredible feast visually with some unusual and at times, Quirky story telling.
as an example, a haunting short entitled Stick Figures. Disturbing on a couple of levels.
It is good to be disturbed every once and awhile. your thinking always seems to settle
after with a tighter grasp on things significant, while loosing grasp of things that are not, but
which float to the surface like refuse.
OK, if you get a sec to, Add a post about who or what inspire you!
Thanks again for being part of the GNN!
Keep on working on what you love.
Sam
Hello.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recomendations, Sam. I'm always looking for new and interesting creators and stories. The above essays were really interesting and I have two of Tan's books on hold at my library ("The Arrival" and "The Haunted Playground") I'll pick them up inthe morning and I'm excited to dive in. I'll work on a post with some of my inspirations and influences. There is so much great stuff out there! I'd love to see what everyone else is into as well.